Hard Haid Moe (further confirmation of name)

9475609@arran.sms.ed.ac.uk 9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue May 16 17:02:12 CEST 1995

      Dear Per, Fredrik, et al,

      A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I remembered seeing "Hard Haid
Moe" (as opposed to "Hog Haid Moe") on a list of international comic
character names in Alberto Becattini's home.  But of course, my memory
was fuzzy.

      This morning, I was looking through the index of post-1950s
American Disney comic writers that's in Alberto's _Disney Index_ Vol. 2.
The listing for Dick Kinney mentioned that he worked with Al Hubbard to
create the following characters for the Studio Stories:

      Fethry Duck
      Hustler Duck (?)
      Hard Haid Moe
      Tabby (Donald's cat)
      Double-O Duck
      Mata Harrier (Double-O Duck's secretary)
      Belle Duck (?)

      Of course, DD has a white cat named Tabby in the 1946 story
"Singapore Joe" (although he's changed color slightly in some of the
reprints of the story).  Isn't the cat in these Scrooge-newseditor
stories just this same old feline?  AT also gave DD a cat named Tabby,
but this was a black cat, I think.

      I have no idea who Belle and Hustler are.  Does anyone have any
reasonable candidates for these apparently regular characters?  I also
get the feeling that Fethry and Moe are the only members of the group
above who survived past the early 1970s.

      Now I have textual confirmation of Hard Haid Moe having THAT name
(as opposed to "Hog Haid Moe").  Per, can you please change the name on
the Disney Comics Characters page (you know, the one with the links to
images of the various characters)?  Also, maybe you can change it on the
interlingual guide.  (I'd ask Fredrik, but I haven't heard from him in
months... are you still there, Fredrik?)

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>