Disney-comics digest #666.

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk
Thu May 18 12:57:07 CEST 1995

      PER:
      Digest #666 was one of the strangest I'd ever seen, with a
message from Mike -- which had never appeared in a Digest before --
mysteriously "blended" with someone else's subscription request as if
the other person was "quoting" it in her message.  That other
person got her E-Mail address at the top of the Digest, but Mike's
didn't appear.  Huh?
      Folk more superstitious than I might attribute the foul-up to
the fact that this was Digest #666!  ;-)

      DON:
      Do Gladstone's (yours, Egmont's) many Eisner nominations change
their plans about having a booth at the San Diego convention?  Also,
I have no way of getting in touch with the Con men for a month.
Might you be able to check and see when exactly they have scheduled
my discussion panel?  I'd like to announce that on the Digest.
      Do you know what else is going to be in COLLECTORY #1?  I bet
they're going to use that VERY uncanonical Branca story ("No Dime for
Stardom") that I translated back before I knew about the LO$... the
one with Magica disguising herself as Glittering Goldie.  It's an
enjoyable story, but danged if it's canonical.  It IS set in the
Yukon.  (And it's a 9-pager, which means it isn't ALL that could fill
up the rest of the comic.)

      DWIGHT:
      Did you ever find out whose version of the 3-page Daan Jippes
escargot story John is going to use?  I'm just curious (and I'm as
much interested to see your version as I enjoyed working on my
own interpretation).  Boy, I hope there aren't any translation boners
like this again, on my part... you didn't translate a Dutch Big Bad
Wolf story recently, now, did you, Dwight?  ;-)
      When John Clark does get around to publishing that "which-way"
story, I hate to mention it but he's not going to be able to use that
page in which MM and GO announce that "this is the first-ever Choose
Your Own Adventure comic" (or some such).  In the lengthy time
Gladstone has sat on the story since you told us about translating
it, REN AND STIMPY SPECIAL #4 (I think) had such a story, titled
"Masters of Time and Space".  So in the United States, that Ren and
Stimpy story (actually quite good) has the honors of being the first.
Gladstone can't really make the claim unless they point out that the
Italian story was the first in the entire world, which might seem
like a flimsy excuse to some readers (but I don't know!) when it's
appearing as the second in the States.
      And was even the Italian one first?  I don't know when the
Italian "which-way" story originally appeared, but around 1985 the
French JOURNAL DE MICKEY included some stories of that type with
Taran from "The Black Cauldron".  Maybe THOSE were the first in the
genre.

      MATTIAS:
      I still haven't seen NAFSKuriren (spelling?) in my neck of the
woods yet.  I hope things have gone okay.
      I'm soon going to make arrangements for my article ("A Portrait
of the Artist as a Young Mouse"/"A Mouse in Black and White") to
appear in an American magazine -- probably right when I get back to
the States.

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>

      "Why, we must be the us who were shoutin' and hollerin' for no
reason whatsoever!"
      "DANGED RIGHT WE GOT A REASON!  That me's useeng a blowtorch
near the ROCKET TANKS!"
      "AAAAAH!  You'll blow us all to keengdom come!"
      "EEEEEEE!  What he said!  What he said!"
      (Quote from the Ren and Stimpy which-way story)