No subject

Egil Pettersen egil at telepost.no
Sat May 20 15:32:37 CEST 1995

Hi

This is my first letter to this group as I have just been connected
to Internet. I hope you guys out there don´t mind if I don´t know the
rules yet.
Mike asked if any of the translators actually asks Don Rosa when a
problem comes up. I wrote him and told what I do, but maybe the info
is also of interest to others. Here goes:

I have done work on the Norwegian translation of Don´s stories, f.i.
on the Family tree and on Life of $crooge. It takes a lot of time to
try to get the names as correct as possible. I first get the stuff
with Don´s text, and then my job is to try to figure out which of the
characters  and places that has been used by Barks earlier. Then I
try to find the correct American magazine where they were printed
first, and where these names were first published in Norway. If in
doubt, Don was contacted. It would help a lot to have a list of the
sources Don has used on each story, and I understand that he tries to
send one with the new stories he makes. However, none of these lists
has ever reached me.

So there are lots of work done before the actual translation
starts.This is done to try to get the result as close to the original
Norwegian translation of Barks´s names as possible, and although it
takes time, we hope it´s worth it. At least we know that we do our
best trying to get Don´s work to the Norwegian readers as accurate as
possible.  Maybe it would be a good idea to get your sources on
Internet, Don? Then at least it would get here!

Erik Hørthe