Disney-comics digest #677.

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk
Mon May 29 11:31:44 CEST 1995

      Hi, gang.

      DANIEL mentioned the Disney cartoons I still need.  It occurred
to me that we have a lot more professionals here since when I last
discussed this, so I thought I'd post the (short) list here to see
who had some of the films.
      The cartoons I'm missing entirely (some banned, some simply
overlooked for airing) are:  "El Terrible Toreador" (1929), "Hell's
Bells"* (1929), "Cannibal Capers"* (1930), "The Shindig" (1930), "The
Barnyard Broadcast" (1931), "Mother Goose Melodies" (1931), "Egyptian
Melodies" (1931), "Birds of a Feather" (1931), "The Moose Hunt"
(1931), "Just Dogs" (1932), "Broken Toys"* (1935), "Figaro and Cleo"
(1943), "Spare the Rod"* (1954).
      [I marked the ones with a * to show they are banned]
      I have censored prints of the following and need whole ones:
"The Cactus Kid" (1930), "Pioneer Days" (1930) [with original
fife-and-drum ending], "The Delivery Boy" (1931), "Fishin' Around"
(1931), "Musical Farmer" (1932), "Mickey in Arabia" (1932), "Mickey
Plays Papa" (1934), "Who Killed Cock Robin" (1935), "Pluto's Dream
House" (1940), "No Hunting" (1955).  Before anyone decides to mail me
a copy of one, please tell me so I can confirm that the missing
footage (which I usually know the nature of) is in there.
      To reach me, Daniel, in private E-Mail simply address your
letter to:
      9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk
      (That's my E-Mail address for now.  It will change soon, and I
will tell you when it changes.)  I can't wait to chat with you!

      SCROOGE AND THE ASWAN DAM
      From the letters Barks wrote, I got the feeling this story
wasn't abandoned when partly made, but not even begun.  But Romano
Scarpa, too, had also been inspired by reading about the Aswan Dam,
and at that exact time produced his own story, "Colossus of the
Nile," based on this.  In a year, you'll be able to read this story
in English, probably in USA #39 and 40.
> Daniel  (age 21, the youngest member of Disney-comics?)
      Depends on when you were born!  I turned 21 on February 6.
When's your birthday?

      JANET:
      Your birthday story appeared, I believe, in all the
Egmont-published "pocket-books" (256 pgs.) in Donald's birthday
month, June '94.  I have a German edition, for example.  In the same
pocket book, Egmont also used that Italian story that involves Barks
and Gare, as dog-nosed characters, talking about how Carl "got to
know" the Ducks and became their artist.  We see Scrooge treating
Carl Barks to a VERY frugal meal while telling him of his past
exploits.  The story is beautifully drawn and called "The Sage of the
Ducks," in German, but I know John Clark is concerned about how Barks
himself would react to it, so he's not going to use it in the United
States for the time being.
      If you want a copy of the pocket book in German, Janet, tell me
now and you can have one!  The Germans keep all their old
pocket-books in print (are they the only country to do so?) and I'll
be in Germany next month.

      BOY, THE BRITISH sure have a history of murdering Barks stuff.
I had a look at the 1949 Mickey Mouse Annual yesterday, and there was
Barks' gold-finder story (WDC 71), rewritten in story-book form
starring MICKEY, with Barks' drawings traced to illustrate it so that
Mickey and his nephews replaced Donald and his.  The only Barks story
I've ever seen that appeared here exactly as in the States was the
"Flipism" story, which headlined the 1980 annual with (somehow) its
original text and lettering intact.  (The annual also contained some
other stories, which were butchered.)
      The British had the idea that Disney stuff was for kids only
right from the 1930s, while this attitude only grew in the States in
(I believe) the postwar period, mainly because of the way Disney
itself treated the characters (and still does).

      David Gerstein
      <9475609 at arran.sms.ed.ac.uk>