Walt Disney Giant #3

Augie De Blieck Jr. adebliec at internexus.net
Thu Nov 16 04:39:25 CET 1995

"Donald The Mighty Duck" it is titled.  I haven't read it yet, but a
few interesting points:

* The original cover design was great, but one idiot's lack of knowledge
  killed it.  You see, Don had done a sketch spoofing Superman's first cover
  with Donald Duck in there.  They showed it to someone at the Gladstone
  office who just didn't get it.  The cover got spiked, but Don's pencil
  rough is printed.  (You can see how he draws Donald using three circles -
  he doesn't kid around when he says he draws everyone with a template!)

* The new cover is a montage of panels from the Super Snooper stories
  inside, with an image of Donald flying in front of it.  If I'm not
  mistaken, that's the Donald pose from the original issue in which Don's
  Super Snooper story was published.  (That original cover design was
  credited to Bob Foster.)

* Being the newbie that I am, it is a weird feeling to see a story I had
  read in its original printing reprinted.  (I talk here about Don's
  story.)

* I guess the only difference in the reprint is that the eyes aren't blue,
  like Disney was doing when they ran their own comic line.

* That insufferable Minnie Mouse gossip column is back, but it looks to
  be the last one.  Whew.

-Augie