Again about LCoC... and a comment to those four nephews

h.j.bjornhaug@admin.uio.no h.j.bjornhaug at admin.uio.no
Thu Nov 16 09:41:04 CET 1995

Jorgen writes:

> Hakkespett means woodchuck. The Junior Woodchucks are simply
> called Hakkespettene in Norwegian. The JWW Manual is called
> Hakkespettboken.

In the Duck universe, yes, but 'hakkespett' does not literally mean
'woodchuck'.  A woodchuck is a small rodent, right?  'A grizzled
thickset marmot', my dictionary says.  While the Norwegian name for
marmot is 'murmeldyr', 'hakkespett' means 'woodpecker'.

And to Arthur: One reason why the newest Don Rosa stories always are
commented by Norwegians, and not by Danes, is simply that there are
more Norwegians (at least nine) than Danes (maybe only one or two,
depending on whether you count our Faeroese friend as a Dane or not)
on this list.

--- Helge