Walled towns, etc.

TKlein28@aol.com TKlein28 at aol.com
Sat Nov 25 17:29:10 CET 1995

DON:
     I imagine it hinges on the definition of "intact". I don't know if the
wall at York is all original or partly rebuilt -- ditto for some of the
others I've seen. And in York, as in Quebec, there are modern buildings
inside the wall along with the ancient ones. Then again, Lucca may be using
that old marketing ploy of claiming to be one of a kind because most people
won't question the assertion...like the several towns in midwest America, in
different states, that claim to be the geographic center of the U.S.
     I can't comment on the national character of Italians and the Finnish,
nor do I really think one should generalize that way, but I do think national
attributes are noticeable to travelers that aren't apparent to locals. Being
in England, for instance, makes one realize how loud and gregarious the
average American is by contrast, especially while eating in a restaurant,
where the British speak quietly in hushed tones, if at all, and the loud ones
are usually other Americans! There is some variety of general behavior around
the U.S. as well. A convention in Dallas that I attended twice had a very
different atmosphere than either New York or San Diego. Attendees in Dallas
were more polite (often using "sir" to address pros) and more relaxed in
general, as well as very friendly toward anyone who shared their interests.

ARTHUR:
     You mentioned "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" being called "Life
of Scrooge" in a CBG interview/article. That's what many of the scripts I
received said, too. But since Don had named the series "Life and Times" in
the first one, and as I try to maintain continuity whenever I can, I added
the complete title to each chapter. This might have been noticed and
corrected by Gladstone if I DIDN'T do it, but that's how it happened.