The state of US comics biz

TKlein28@aol.com TKlein28 at aol.com
Tue Nov 28 14:13:17 CET 1995

Don asked me to comment on this, and I will briefly. Yes, the current market
is in a major slump, partly because of the breakup of the independent
distribution system into "camps". Stores now have to order from 3 or more
distributors to get all the new comics because the major companies have
allied themselves to different ones exclusively. This was started by Marvel
who bought one of the big distributors and gave them exclusive rights to
distribute Marvel comics.
     This all looks to me, though, like a slight expansion of the usual boom
and bust cycle in the comics business. There was a big downturn in 1978 or so
when I was on staff at DC for about a year. Many books were cancelled, staff
laid off, some companies went under, etc. The same thing is happening now.
There were smaller busts inbetween then and now. And some big booms as well
-- when sales climbed and everyone thought they could put out comics and make
a fortune. Some of them did, some tried and lost their shirts. Publishing is
not for the faint of heart.
     Anyway, I think the cycle will come around probably some time next year,
and sales will pick up again. Whether Gladstone will survive (at least as a
Disney publisher) remains to be seen. They have been cutting costs where they
can, which is smart. It will be interesting to see what happens with the
Disney license -- a renewal will commit Gladstone to at least another year of
publishing Disney comics. As far as I know they are still paying their bills
and freelancers. If any of you (David?) get checks from them, and notice
longer delays in payment, that would be a sign that the end is near. But I
have a feeling that Bruce Hamilton, having been in this for some time, will
be able to ride it out.
     Don -- thanks for the kind words on Lo$. Now if I could only explain my
Atlantic/Pacific gaff...  :-)