April 1, lemmings and indexes

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Wed Oct 4 17:56:19 CET 1995

KATHY & KNUT:

KF: Oog.  Which means I can't conjur up the story that went with the
KF: quote which of course would make it easier for me even to find it.

KH: Well, it's a little difficult to guarantee anything when I mostly
KH: read norwegian translations, but it sounds very much like you're
KH: talking about the "April fools" story where the nephews try to
KH: fool DD by putting wallets in front of him on his way to go
KH: fishing.

I looked in the CBL and you're right! On the last panel of page 4,
one of the nephews says: "He'll be along soon, smug and sassy and
shakin' hands with himself!"

Brings up another question, which I have since I saw the English
version of the story: Is fooling each other on 1 April a worldwide
tradition?

I used to think it was typical Dutch...

KNUT & EGIL:

KH: Those scenes with the "lemming blanket" going into the sea is
KH: _not_ very realistic. I point this out because the "lemming
KH: suicide"-myth this is based on is one of those myths I know
KH: quite many still believe in. (...) If anyone wants more details
KH: or wants to protest against the correctness, I will dig deeper
KH: into the matter some day.

Yes, I like to know more about it, because Egil said today:

EP: The half-page were the ducks look at the blanket of lemmings
EP: moving towards the sea, is found at National Geographic page 162,
EP: a picture from Lysefjorden.

I also heard (and believed) the lemming-suicide story. Can you tell
me the real story about it, and were is this suicide-story based on?

RUNE:

> I`m a boy from Norway and I`m trying to get an American comic
> index,soo if anyone have one,I`d like to buy it.. Please answer:)

Well, here is my answer.

We have *lots* of indexes of Disney-comics here on the club, which
can be seen on the ftp-side. Maybe someone can tell you how to get
there? (You need a direct-access for it, which I haven't).

Greetings,

--- Daniel