DuckTales Movie Adaption

JALustig@aol.com JALustig at aol.com
Tue Oct 10 02:47:42 CET 1995

Jorgen:

You asked if the 45-page comic book adaption of the DuckTales movie was a
cut-down version of my 62-page adaption of the DuckTales movie. And the
answer is...

I don't know! This is the first I've ever heard of a 45-page version.

I wrote my version before the movie came out and it was based on the original
script and the storyboard from the movie. There were a number of small
differences between the story in the movie and my adaption. First of all, I
made some minor additions and omissions from the original story to try to
make it flow better as a comic book. (At this point I wish I'd made a lot
more changes. Visually, the story is very cramped. It's my own fault. I tried
to squeeze in too much. I was working under the impression that the comic was
going to be printed in a larger magazine format. Even if it had, things still
would have been cramped, but it wouldn't have looked quite so busy.)

In addition, some of the things in the movie were changed by the time it was
released. Not knowing what those changes were going to be I couldn't include
them in the graphic novel.

Anyway, here are some of the things which are probably unique to "my" graphic
novel adaption:

1) The comic opens with several shots of a "hawk" who (in the last panel on
the page) almost gets hit by a plane flown by Launchpad. The following quote
is broken up over the first four panels of the comic: " 'Above the mountain
valley of Osiris lives a breed of hawk...whose speed and savagery have
inspired...many strange and terrible tales! Masters of the skies, these
fabled birds are almost fearless!' --excerpt from the Junior Woodchuck
Guidebook."

2) When the ducks are trying to escape from the giant scorpions and are
carrying a giant basket over their heads one of the scorpions is riding along
on top of the basket. As the ducks accidentally fall over a cliff into a
river the scorpion grabs onto a stalactite to save himself. (Or maybe it's
herself.)

3) When the kids make their wishes we see a single "splash" page with the
magic lamp at the center. Around the lamp are four scenes showing the kids
getting their wishes. In one they're riding on the back of a dinosaur. In
another they're floating in space tethered to the space shuttle. In a third
they're in a mini-sub surrounded by sea creatures. And in the fourth they're
on a Viking ship being attacked by a sea monster.

I hope that's helpful. Let me know if any of this shows up in the 45-page
version. I'd be interested to know if it's totally different from mine or
just a cut-down version of what I did.

--John