Charts of Columbus

Bjorn-Are.Davidsen@s.prosjekt98.telenor.no Bjorn-Are.Davidsen at s.prosjekt98.telenor.no
Wed Oct 18 12:58:37 CET 1995

My two almost indentical messages yesterday was due to the serious error on my part
of submitting the first to Disney-comics-request, and upon discovering that, mailing it
once more with minor improvements. I was not aware that request mesages are
forwarded to the list...

Some more comments on the Columbus story (SPOLIER ALERT ALERT ALERT):

The Junior Woodchuck Museum is a really great place for gags and historical artifacts. I
love it when you get going in that building, Don, with understatements and hidden action
between the panels, and incredible, hilarious exhibitions!

 I especially enjoyed the story as a follow up to your own "Guardians of the Lost Library",
which I believe was an almost equal valid source for the story as "The Golden Helmet"!

The usual nit-picking:

 I'm really not sure if 537 A.D. on an artifact would convince many historians, as our way
of counting years may have been introduced at a later stage. I believe that a more
proper dating would have been related to the founding of Rome, even in Ireland.
However, I'm quoting this from memory, and have not checked it.

That Mexican city  (which I don't dare to spell without proper source material in front of
me) being  "greater than Rome"?  I'm not sure what you meant:  in area, population,
wealth, as control centre of an larger empire or in beauty - or compared to  Rome in a
late stage of decline?  I believe any Mexican city will fail on most (all) of these accounts.
Or am I wrong?

The ending was good, very political correct (I love that, sometimes), however, perhaps
too similiar in principle to the Guardians of the Lost Library (upside down, I mean)?

And was it a translation error when the nephews wondered " why is North at the top"?

Nevertheless: One of your greatest stories! I read it twice at once and laughed, and
grinned and had people turning around to look at me on the bus, in short having that
experience of Joy which I believe the literary historian and story teller C.S. Lewis is the
clearest defender of as important to the real value of a story (see his "Experiment in
Criticism").

Bjorn-Are

bjorn-are.davidsen at s.prosjekt98.telenor.no