comments on the past weeks

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Thu Oct 19 18:28:06 CET 1995

Hi all. I've returned from my vacation in Turkey, and spent quite
a few hours to catch up with this mailing list. So the following are
comments on quite old messages...

DANIEL, and others, about APRIL 1ST:
I also thought that april-fool was Dutch folklore: we were taught at
school ("Op 1 april verloor Alva den bril", haha). But quite soon I
knew this could not be true, because an Italian Disney story revealed
quite a different origin. I don't remember in which Dutch pocket book I read
this story, but I remember the artwork was quite good, except the Ducks.
And ehm... well... the art was by Giuseppe Perego.

ARTHUR asked a question about "DISNEY COMICS IN COLOR #1-#7":
> can someone tell me more about these albums?
I don't remember whether this question was answered, so: these albums
were composed of 3 old Gladstone comic albums, with all-new Rosa covers.
I don't think you would want to have these albums, except maybe for the
covers. But be warned: those covers are absolutely the WORST artwork Don
ever did. BTW: we discussed these albums recently.

FRANK asked:
> Which authors do you like best among the Dutch and Danish ones?

Well, let's see:

JIPPES: graphically perfect. Most of the stories very good, some reasonable.
MILTON: good stories, though sometimes much alike. Cooperation with Jippes
	gave the best results.
VERHAGEN: a bit strange, small Ducks, but otherwise very good stories with
	very good art.
GULBRANSSON: quite good art, quite funny stories with sometimes odd motivations
	for the characters.
MATENA, PLIJNAAR: very good Big Bad Wolf stories in the 70s. More recent
	Matena work is rubbish.
REICHE: only did 6 stories. Between reasonable and good. My favourite is the
	wall-paper story.
GERADTS: good scripts. One can see he was a big Barks fan from the beginning.
VAN DER KROFT: only a few, but quite funny stories in the 70s.
COENEN: (I mean Jules, not Danny) some good Brer Rabbit stories. His Duck-work
	was not that good.
STRAATMAN: wrote some very good Joe Carioca stories. Other material
	usually is rubbish.
DE JONGE: good stories, quite good art. ("Zo is dat!")
HEYMANS: very good. Especially his short stories (written by himself, his
	girlfriend, Frank Jonker or others).

Maybe other people disagree with this, or have additions?
Let someone else pick the best Danish writers and artists...

AUGIE said, about the "Khaos" story in USA #35:
> the nephews are wearing sweaters in Egypt. And how must it have been with
> a t-shirt on underneath?

In the original, the nephews and Scrooge were NOT wearing T-shirts. So they
were completely naked in some panels. Gladstone added the lines suggesting
the T-shirts. They also did this in several other Verhagen stories.

DANIEL, about a Dutch 23-pager (H8296) where Scrooge "died":
> Is this story ever published in the USA?

No, it isn't. It was drawn by Jan Gulbransson, BTW.

That's all for now!
--Harry.