Barks influences, etc.

TKlein28@aol.com TKlein28 at aol.com
Fri Oct 20 13:06:11 CET 1995

ALL:

Thanks for the input on possible Barks film influences. I hadn't thought of
"Tralla La", but if I had, I would say it was probably influenced by the film
"Lost Horizons" (the origin of the name "Shangri-La" Daniel), based on the
book of the same name by James Hilton, published I believe in the late
1930's. Barks may have read the book as well, of course.
     The reason I brought this up in the first place is that Don Rosa has
often been touted as the "Barks heir" or the "new Barks", which I think
irritated Barks and some of his fans, and probably Don as well. I wanted to
make the point that Don is taking the ducks in NEW directions, and this is
one of them -- stories inspired by classic films.

DWIGHT:

Yes, the idea of naked ducks is pretty silly, isn't it? Just the kind of
thing that is likely to put off an adult. But as kids, we probably all bought
it, from the cartoons as well.

BJORN-ARE:

I was very interested to read about the Heyerdahl/Ingstad debate. I enjoyed
reading several of Heyerdahl's books years ago, especially Kon-Tiki, and for
a while was reading whatever I could find on the subject of pre-Columbian
settlers in North America. There are, for instance, a number of stone
monuments throughout New England of the type built by Celtic or earlier
peoples in Europe, of which Stonehenge is the most famous example. There are
no records or traditions of any Native American peoples doing this sort of
thing. No one has ever convincingly explained these (less impressive)
monuments in America, but it could provide a few story ideas, eh? I had never
heard of Ingstad, though, and found the outline of his life fascinating. I'll
have to look him up in our local library and see what I can find.

Todd