What's the Color of Money?

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Tue Oct 24 03:29:04 CET 1995

About the coins in Scrooge's bin coloured yellow in Europe:
I don't really think this is meant to imply that they all are gold
coins.  It's just that coins are yellow in Duckburg (from a European
standpoint).

I don't know how easy this is to understand for Americans, as Duckburg
for them so clearly is right in the USA, and coins etc. should be just
like they are used to.  When I grew up Duckburg was more a world of
its own, with some peculiar customs and phenomenons.  Just as for
example the hydrants looked in a special way it wasn't strange if the
money had a special look.  The bills are all green for example, even
though "real" (= Swedish) money isn't green, so that was also
something that was typical of Duckburg in my frame of mind.

There have been a few times when it's been made explicit that the
Ducks live in Sweden in older Swedish translations, but most of the
time the issue has been avoided, and references to the USA was removed
and nothing else was substituted.  I guess something like this made
Erika Fuchs translate a Duckburgian dollar into a Taler.  That
enforces the idea that Duckburg is a world of its own.  (But here in
Sweden Duckburg money is measured in Kronor like in Sweden.)
Besides, Taler is etymologically the same word as dollar, which makes
it the more fitting.
Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at minsk.docs.uu.se
 "You know where *brass* comes from, don'tcha?  or don'tcha?"