Disney-comics digest #826.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Thu Oct 26 13:25:00 CET 1995

ARTHUR:
        Yes, there was a time when I had no inkling that someday I would
ever have anything more to do with comics than to be a fan and collector. I
wrote lots of articles for fanzines during the 70s, and did several comic
strips/stories in those fanzines. I wrote what (20 years ago) was one of the
most popular fanzine columns, "The RBCC Information Center", which I later
carried over to other fanzines like THE COMIC READER, THE BUYERS' GUIDE, THE
COMICS BUYER'S GUIDE, AMAZING HEROES, COLLECTORS DREAM, and others. I also
did OTHER features, including DON ROSA'S COVER GALLERY which appeared in
several different fanzines such as the one you mention. In those days I had
NO idea that Disney comics, better than they had ever been, would someday
return to America with the Gladstones... much less that I would ever realize
my life-dream of writing and drawing an Uncle $crooge adventure... or much
less that that would be only the first of all this that's happened since
(both wonderful and awful!).

"RoC":
        Welcome back.
        Brutopia was first used in "A Cold Bargain", the one about the
Bombastium ball. You may be right that Barks mentioned it in that other
story (I'm not where I can check), but I thought it was only in that story
with the ice-ball.
        You preferred the "Columbus" story to the "shrink" story? That just
proves that everyone has different preferences. I felt sure that the
"shrink" tale had more humor and action and would be more popular -- I was
afraid (and still am) that the "Columbus" story was too complex and
repetitive and cerebral. And I'm certain many readers will feel that way.
Someone on here was just telling me how his little sister declined to even
look at the supplement issue with my "Columbus" story because she could
recognize my style and said she didn't like those stories. Surely the
"Columbus" story is for an older readership, don't you think? But that's why
I think it's a good idea to put lots of different types of stories in these
comics for all different sorts of readers. No one readers will like
everything in every issue, and that's natural.

AUGIE:
        I haven't heard a word from anyone about the appearance of that
COMICS JOURNAL article, and I'm not going to call and encorage them to use
it. It was written such a ridiculously long time ago (in 1989) that I don't
see any point in them using it, unless it had an update that was longer than
the original. I'd love for CJ to do a whole new interview and scrap that
antiquated one. But they'll do what they'll do -- I never seek publicity nor
try to influence it, unless there's been dirty work afoot, which sadly happens.