Barks influences, etc.

kathy fitzpatrick kfitz at halcyon.com
Sat Oct 28 18:01:00 CET 1995

Dan,

You are absolutely correct. When it comes to MOST ancient civilizations, no
one knows who built them originally.  Some other race usually comes along
and takes over the originators or builds a new civilization in the same
area.  Thus archeologists often find layers of civilizations built one on
top of another.  (Not like with the Mounds, but who knows?!)  Even the
Aztecs are not the builders of the pyramids that for years they were
credited as having built.

Having read National Geographic enough to know, whenever they do an article
on ancient ruins they also note any lengends or stories to go with them.
With the imagination Carl Barks possesses, it would not be necessary for him
to have seen a movie to get an idea.  It is more likely the movie idea came
from a similar source that Carl may have had, if not Carl himself.

Kathy