Barks cover ideas

H.W. Fluks fluks at pcssdc.pttnwb.nl
Fri Sep 15 12:55:08 CEST 1995

DON:
(This is a reply to a personal conversation, but since others might be
interested, I sent it to the List.)

Arthur told me you were discussing a "Barks cover", that was supposed
to be published in Holland, and nowhere else. The cover shows HDL and Donald
in hammocks, on top of each other.

This cover was inked by Ulrich Schroeder, and based on a pencilled drawing
by Barks. Neither the pencils, nor the inked cover was in the CB Library.

Michael Barrier mentioned this cover sketch in his Barks blbliography.
When I read that, and Daniel told me it was not in the CBL, I asked Thom
Roep about it. He said he had a copy of "Der Hamburger Donaldist" with
the Schroeder drawing in it. So he used that drawing for the cover
of a DD weekly. This was all in 1992, when I was helping Thom to get
ALL of Barks' work in a list, even the cover ideas and pencils.

On the subject of cover ideas, I think Barks made his cover sketches
in two ways. Some cover ideas were done as a rough sketch, like the
"money soup" idea that Jippes used for a Gladstone cover, and the
"Davy Jones' Locker" sketch you used.
But a lot of (rejected) cover ideas were in the form of quite elaborate
pencil drawings. An inker could almost trace the pencils and produce
a good cover. Ulrich Scroeder inked a few of these covers for Holland.

BTW: Jippes only drew ONE cover based on a rejected Barks idea. The
others were done by Schroeder, Rosa, and others.

And now that we are talking about "Barks" covers: William Van Horn drew
two covers "based on a Barks idea/sketch" in the past years. Do you
(or anyone else) know whether these are NEW ideas/sketches, or old
things? Barrier does not list them.
The covers I'm talking about are: DD and a nephew painting the floor
towards each other (published on a Gladstone WDC), and Gyro with a
"head scratching machine" (published on one of the "CBL of Gyro in Color"
albums).

--Harry.