pocahontas

deckerd@agcs.com deckerd at agcs.com
Fri Sep 15 22:32:17 CEST 1995

Squertermous saith:

> I am have been practicing to draw for almost eight years now, and I
> am able to draw the ninja turtles like they look on cartoons. I also
> am able to draw Wolverine and Gambit from the X-MAN. I have been
> wondering how do your artists at your studio draw Pocahontas? Could
> you send a list of your artists who were responsible for drawing this
> character.

Uh, Shaun...there's one thing you've got to understand. This is a
mailing list for fans of Disney comic books. It is not, repeat, not,
an official part of the Disney organization. With any luck at all,
the Walt Disney Company doesn't even know this group exists. Some of
us here are artists and writers who work on a freelance basis for
Disney's licensees, but that's as "official" as it gets. If you're
trying to get a job with Disney out of this, this ain't the place to
be...except in a general sense of following the discussions and learning
about Disney comics and the Disney company overall, so that when you
do apply for work at the Mouse Factory, you'll have some background
knowledge of how things are and why they got that way.

As for drawing Pocahontas...I have no idea why you want a list of the
artists responsible for drawing this character, but you might go see
the movie again and check the end credits. There's probably a list of
the key personnel who worked on the animation for each major character.
As for how to draw Pocahontas, in the tidal wave of merchandise that
came with the movie, there must be a "How to Draw Pocahontas" book in
there somewhere. Failing that, you might pick up things like the Pocahontas
coloring book, the comic book adaptation of the movie, story books, etc.,
and just study the character design in the illustrations, and try to figure
out how and why she was put together the way she is. How many multiples
of her own head tall is she? What basic shapes were used to form her body?
The studio would have used model sheets with such information, but you
can dope it out on your own.

Hope this helps...

--Dwight Decker