About give-aways and photostats

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Sun Sep 17 19:29:56 CEST 1995

Hi all!

This message contains a conversation which I had with Don in private
mail, it is about the problems publishers seems to have with
reprinting Barks' give-away stories.

I'm sending this to the club, because this subject might be too
interesting to keep in private mail.

For those who don't know: In the 40's Barks made also stories which
didn't appear in the regular comics. They appeared in comics called
"give-aways", these were comics which were given away by companies as
promotion. Examples of these stories are "Darkest Africa", "Race to
the South Seas" and "Donald Duck's Atom Bomb".

The last two decades the stories were reprinted *redrawn* (by other
artists), because there seem to be problems with reprinting the
original art. As what I am told this is because the original art and
the photostats of (most of) these stories are lost.

I asked Don why they didn't work from xeroxes of the original comics.