American duck stories

RHODE@email.afip.osd.mil RHODE at email.afip.osd.mil
Fri Sep 22 17:27:24 CEST 1995

I said:
> notwithstanding our
> talented translators on the list, it's nice to see some American artists
> following Don's lead and making some American Duck stories again.

Harry replied:
*I don't understand this. Why is it important that Americans make the new
*stories? Is that better for the quality of a story? If so, why?

I didn't mean to step on any toes here.  I just think that the Ducks are
American creations that are set in America so that it's nice to see SOME
interest among American comic creators in working with them.  I think it
can affect the story though - since Halloween, as far as I know, is ONLY
an American holiday, I doubt if any European stories would use it.  But
it's a very big event for American children.  Don's recent work with the
Life of $crooge in many ways emphasized how deeply embedded in American
culture and history the ducks are.  On the other hand, I'm quite glad
that they became so popular in the rest of the world and so many other
countries turn out excellent work; they probably wouldn't have survived
the 1970s here in the States as Whitman/Gold Key's disappearance shows.
And I guess Gladstone's current situation shows that they're still not
very stable - most American Disney comics would probably be totally
familiar reprints without the influx from the rest of the world.
Besides, now we Americans have original stories that you Europeans can
wait to see reprinted. :^)

Mike Rhode