Disney-comics digest #794.

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sun Sep 24 15:24:00 CET 1995

JAKOB:
        As we've said on here, that WALT DISNEY GIANT #1 cover wasn't
printed just as we'd hoped, but may yet still be shown as intended on some
album next year. Yes, it was based on the cover for my "Last Sled to Dawson"
story on UNCLE $CROOGE ADVENTURES #5 from 1988, and the reason I was anxious
to try the cover again was the fact that even back then it hadn't come close
to the way I'd intended (notice, for one thing, that there was no Northern
Lights in the first version, though it had been on my artwork). The Northern
Lights and starry sky was done BEAUTIFULLY by Susan Daigle-Leach on the new
version, but there were some unplanned obstructions like the indicia box,
and the midnight sun was still not behind the figures as I'd planned.
Anyway, it wasn't a matter of enlarging the figure on the old cover, if you
imply doing it by some mechanical means. I simply redrew that $crooge pose
-- but you can plainly see hundreds of tiny differences that would show that
it's not the same drawing, right?
        That German TEMPO magazine with my $crooge page will be, last I
heard, in the October issue... which means it should be out NOW. Unless
that's a weekly magazine... or if it was postponed.
        The WD COMICS IN COLOR albums #1-7 that I did covers for cost $20
each! They were simply rebound issues of those earlier Gladstone albums. At
$20 they would be a bargain buy of the 3 or 4 albums inside... but if you
already had the original albums, DON'T waste $20 each just to get my covers!
One or two of those covers weren't so bad, but most of them were pretty
awful, if not downright CREEPY looking! And even the good'ns sure aren't
worth $20! But I don't think you'll find them anywhere, they didn't sell too
well, so I hope your money is safe.

KNUT:
        "The Incredible Shrinking Tightwad" came out pretty good, I thought,
compared to what I think of many of my stories. Still, it's the second
"science-fictiony" Duck story in a row for me, and I've heard from a few of
the translators who said that they prefer the non-SF type Duck stories, and
I tend to agree with them there. It's just my engineering background that
creeps up on me every once in a while.
        Anyway, chapter 3 has a chase scene with the Beagle Boys that you
can help me improve. I felt it was too abrupt, but my alotted space was
short as usual. I plan on adding at least a page to chapter 3 when Gladstone
reprints it. (Hm... it was the BB chase that I added pages to in the "Lo$"
chapter XII, wasn't it?)
        And Harry! Tell them in Holland that there is a ONE PART version of
that story! I'll see to it that those extra half-pages are colored so they
can use the correct version!mLet me know!
        That quote you (Knut) used... what brought that up? But I think I
used that line in the 1987 "Return to Plain Awful".