Disney-comics digest #796.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Tue Sep 26 19:27:08 CET 1995

	HARRY and DANIEL:
> I compared ... xerox copies of the original giveaway comic containing
> Barks' "Santa's Stormy Visit" with the version in Gladstone's CBL in
> Color album, and they were EXACTLY the same. So there seems no need to
> look for a German edition of this story.
> DAVID: to which version did you compare this German version? Did the
> Black-and-white CBL print a version differing from the CBL in color?
	The bw CBL and CBLIC have the same version of "Santa's Stormy
Visit," just for the record.
	Daniel, you said there was a Dutch redrawn version, by Jippes
I'm assuming.  This, I never knew.  Now I conclude that the version in
the German edition must be the Dutch redrawn version, and Jippes
fooled me by being such a good artist.  I couldn't tell that his
version wasn't by Barks, so thought that the sharper images and finer
lines in the German edition marked it as a more authentic version of
the original.
	Doggone that Daan Jippes, with his perfection.  ;-) ;-)

	DON:
	So they take 28-pagers at Egmont now!  Hmmmm....
	Thanks for telling us about your Avatar story!  Also, do you
know if Egmont will publish your 10-page DD "An Eye for Detail" soon?

	ROBERT:
	A lot of Egmont stories are fairly dull, but I find that the
best ones are very, very enjoyable indeed, particularly when given a
good translation.  For example, "A Witch in Crime" (US 238), "Con Job
for a Snob" (US 240), "Ill Met by Moonlight" (USA 9), "That's the
Ticket" (DD 265), "Break-in Breakdown" (US 230), and "In the Talons of
Wan Fu" (USA 21).
	Some of the lesser Egmont stories, on the other hand, were
published in the first ten months of Disney Comics comics, and in the
first four months of Gladstone series II, IMHO.  Maybe you're thinking
about those.
	Re: Dutch stories, You can't be panning stories like Daan
Jippes' great 10-pagers!  Can you?  Say it ain't so!  And I love Ben
Verhagen's adventure stories;  they're all drawn well, and a good
number of them are written very memorably.
	But if you want to argue, let's argue!  What are some examples
of individual stories you disliked, and why didn't you like them?
After all, we can have a debate without descending into flames, and
such (as someone suggested might happen).

	David Gerstein
	<96dag at williams.edu>