Again Santa's Stormy Visit

Daniel van Eijmeren daniel at maisie.ow.nl
Wed Sep 27 02:09:25 CET 1995

DAVID:

> The bw CBL and CBLIC have the same version of "Santa's Stormy
> Visit," just for the record.

No, they *haven't*! Tonight I was at Harry's house and we both
compared the xeroxes of the original give-away with the CBL in Color.
We concluded that there's *almost* no difference between them, only a
little few lines were a little bit different: This could mean that
the version in CBL in Color is a little restored, but ten they did it
that good that it's almost invisible!

At home I compared the same xeroxes with my B/W-CBL and I saw *lots*
of differences! The version in the B/W-CBL is at least heavily
restored (in a bad way, as usually).

So this is what I think of the publications:

* Firestone Giveaway '46:

    Original version used.

* Carl Barks Library in B/W:

    (Heavily) restored version used.

* Carl Barks Library in Color:

    Original version used, with a few (almost invisible)
    restorations.

>     Daniel, you said there was a Dutch redrawn version, by Jippes
> I'm assuming.  This, I never knew.  Now I conclude that the version in
> the German edition must be the Dutch redrawn version, and Jippes
> fooled me by being such a good artist.

No, the Dutch version is *not* by Jippes. It's also not very well
redrawn, let's say it's like the redrawn "Darkest Africa". (The lines
look traced.)

> I couldn't tell that his version wasn't by Barks, so thought that
> the sharper images and finer lines in the German edition marked it
> as a more authentic version of the original.

Did you compare the German version with the CBL in Color by laying
them next to each other? If the German version would be the redrawn
Dutch version, then you should see some details in the CBL in Color
that are missing in the German version.

But you said that Germany used the Egmont version. The CBL in Color
also said that they did that, so maybe these versions are the same?

Greetings,

--- Daniel