Quest for Kalevala

Stefan Persson reimersholme at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 2 22:19:41 CET 1999

Don Rosa wrote:

>But now I am getting first reports from readers in Denmark who are
>confused. Now, I CANNOT READ DANISH... so I only know what I'm being told.
>But what I'm told is that the Danish editions have made no effort to write
>the Kalevalian rune-o-meter or research the proper wordings, and the
>dialogue was not even printed in a special font, as simple as computers now
>make that. And if you've seen the story, this would mean that the point of
>the final panel will be lost! If the rune-o-meter and font are not used on
>the dialogue in that final balloon, how would readers know who the old man
>really is who is speaking?
I don't have the Danish version, but in the Swedish version, the
rune-o-meter is used, and the rune-o-meter is written in a special font. The
translator has done a very well work translating the story. It seems to be
very good, but I haven't read the whole story yet (the issue containing the
last part has not been published yet), so I don't know about this particular
panel you mentioned. The last part will be published next Friday in Sweden.
Is it true that a page is missing from the book, or was it just something
you invented? The only bad thing is the colouring of the story. Why can't
Egmont do as good colouring as the French publishers?