DCML digest, Vol 1 #10 - 18 msgs

Ridout ridout5 at erols.com
Sun Dec 5 19:50:48 CET 1999

All of this controversy over KOMIX is making me think that I was definately
born in the wrong country. I would give an awful lot just to be able to
subscribe to ANY donald duck title whether it was mostly reprints or
whatever. It's a tragedy that Don Rosa's work is appeciated in just about
every language except his own. What's wrong with us Americans anyway?!! I
think someday I ought to move to Greece or Finland.....

Anyone on this list live near the Baltimore area? we ought to get together
and lobby Geppi to try and get the license agreements for Gladstone moving
(actually, I don't know if Geppi could do anything about it, but it's worth
a shot).

I agree with Don's opinion of color looking best on newsprint. I think that
the coloring in Gladstone was absolutely brilliant. Good coloring can really
enhance a story (as bad can detract from it). I really like when the colors
are faded into each other and so forth, but only up to a point. I have to
draw the line when the colorist gets carried away and starts adding graining
on the wood behind donald's head. That gets extremely distracting and takes
a lot away from the artwork.

Comic books need to keep repeating the realy good Barks and Rosa stories.
Even in countries that have already reprinted them before, don't forget that
there are new readers discovering them all the time. I didn't grow up in the
fifties and I wasn't lucky enough to get to read the Barks stories the first
time around. I even missed a lot of the earlier Rosa stories of the
eighties. I can't afford the big albums and such, so if Gladstone hadn't
reprinted so many of the classic stories I would have missed most of them
and would have never fallen in love with these comic books. It seems that
when it comes to comic books the younger people are pretty much forgotten. I
think a nice balance for a comic book would be about 50/50 of new stuff and
classic stuff.

Anyway, in the mean time I guess all I can do is just keep my fingures
crossed, and hope that we'll finally be able to get an english comic book
going...

rebecca