toilets (?!) in Duckburg

Nils Lid Hjort nils at math.uio.no
Tue Dec 7 16:52:15 CET 1999

Norwegian DD #49 is out on the streets today, with
2nd episode of the Kalevala story and with a nice reprint
of the Christmas 1953 issue (featuring Barks' "You Can't
Guess" from Xmas Parade 1950).

Upon browsing through the other stories I am moderately
surprised by the little girl Wenche, in the "Ready for
New Challenges" story by Pat & Carol McGreal and Esteban.
She shouts to poor Donald:
	"I need to go the loo! To the loo!
	 Now! now! I must, I must! Now!"
A totally familiar situation in all civilisations,
by all means -- but I thought going to the
toilet/bathroom/restroom/loo/WC was on the predefined
list of things never to be discussed in Disney's reports
from life in Duckburg?

(a) Is there such a list, for Disney comics artists and
    their publishers? (I've heard once that _fires_ are
    not anymore to be discussed, for example. And surely
    aspects of sex and (real) death must be out of bounds.)
(b) Have their been earlier instances of or mentioning
    of toilets in Disney comics?

Nils Lid Hjort