Gallen-Kallela

Heino janne.heino at heinot.pp.fi
Wed Dec 15 00:41:51 CET 1999

> Hi
> Don, could you tell us what the story is about that cover for the
> Kalevala book?
> The cover shows the ducks with other weapons that on the half-page of
> page 20 of the story. Also the folks from kalevala are sitting in the
> top right corner of the drawing, where Magica is in the page 20. Was
> this page done on another time, or is it on purpouse so the buyers will
> know that these charecters apeear in the book?
> And what does it say on the Kantele on Gyro's stick? Don Rosa after
> Galleian Kalleia 1999? What would the last part mean? any ideas?

The text goes: "Don Rosa after Gallen Kallela 1999"
Gallen-Kallela was an artist who made great paintings of Kalevala. The cover is just like one of his paintings... http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/~xyu/kale-gb/pics/gallen/sammon_puolustus.jpg  (You can find the Gallen-Kallela's panting "the defence of the Sampo" from here) I think that Don made his own version of this painting and put Kallela's name in the kantele as a credit or something like that... How many has noticed the Beagle boy in the cover ? I still wonder what is he doing there 'cause the beagleboys aren't invoved in the Kalevala story by any way... Don ?? And Louhi has a Mickey Mouse bikini on her in the cover... Of course. Has anybody wondered that the Ducks never wear pants but when they come from the shower they always have a towel or something... Quite weird ??

Janne