Kriton, Rosa, Janne, Even - the weekly

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Wed Dec 15 19:01:01 CET 1999

Hi
The weekly came to my mail box today. The thrid part seems to be nicer
done than the first part, and the second part looked worst. In our
weekly that is. Don has nothing to do with them.
The third part is very nice, and there's 3 of the promissed notes at
the bottom of the page.
They tell that the music Louhi is playing on page 1 of part 3 is from
Wagners The Valcurie. They state that Don used this music-example
before... it wouldnøt surprise you that they didn't tell what story? I
thought so! It's beginning to seem so typical that they don't refer.
The man on page 5 of the part refers calls the Iku-Turso the
next-biggest frog, and there's a note about CK. That's the first time
ever I heard about one of Don's pre-disney-comic in the weekly.
Ribit!
What's happening on that page 30? Is Vainamoinen offering $crooge to go
with him to relive the days of the Gold Rush??
As they didn't use any special font in the danish translation you're
not actually able to see who the old guy in the last panel is. But if
you read what he says, it's quite obvious. He talks about collecting
the Sampo in a wayn that no modern dane would speak. And Vainamoine
speaks the same way

Reactions for previous list:
ME, KRITON:
> > the o with a small line with it, when the letter is small.
> (O with a small line in it?)
not in it, after it. You know what I mean.

> I once suggested to Don that he hellenize his name to "Donios
> Triantafyllos", like 19th century scholars used to do. (The first
name
> is just his name with a greek suffix, while the last name is a male
> greek name derived from the greek word for "rose".)
Sounds nice, but it wouldn't have been very recognisable to a foreigner

who could only read the letters...

DON
> Any ideas? Me? Well, yeah, I mean, I wasn't on drugs or something
when I
> drew it.
I hope I didn't insinuate that?

> You've made some incorrect assumptions in your efforts to figure
> out what's going on.
Yes, I see and thanks for the explanation. I didn't know it was from a
painting...

> But I see I was quite right when I suggested to the
> Germans (who needed a Kalevala cover to go with this story when they
use it
> as the special feature of their #1-2000 issue) that they not use that
book
> cover inasmuch as it was designed to only be understood by Finns and
art
> historians. (Note: for those who care, that means that the German
MICKY
> MAUS #1-2000 will have a different Kalevala cover that I drew just
for that
> issue... I guess it won't appear anywhere else.
This is going to be xpensive for the completist of Rosa-comics!
He'll have to get the book, the german issues

> Well... maybe it might be
> used when the Finns reprint the Kalevala story in their AKU ANKKA
weekly
> next year... and, another note -- at that time I will *add pages* to
the 33
> page story to flesh out the parts that I unavoidably had to truncate
to fit
> into that page-count. I estimate it will end up at just below 40
pages.)
and this finnish version too then. So are those extra-pages made as
rows of panels
like in the 19-page version of chapter 12 of Lo$? or are they full
pages?

> But back to the Kalevala book cover. No, I'm not sure what you mean
by the
> characters in the upper right being the Kalevala characters who
appear in
> the book -- that's not the idea.
Well, I couldn't think up another way to say it. cause now when I know
it, I see that I wouldn't have known who they were. except for that
Beagle Boy.

> As to "the Kantele on Gyro's stick"... that's a kantele, okay, but
it's in
> the sea beyond the "stick". (If it looks like it's on Gyro's spear,
I'll
> blame Akseli, that's how he painted it!)
Okay, It's in the sea then.

> But that's how Gallen-Kallela
> signed his painting, on Vainemoinen's pike-jaw kantele that had just
been
> lost into the sea. He had written "Gallen-Kallela 1896" on his
painted
> kantele, so when I copied it, it seemed appropriate that I sign "Don
Rosa
> after Gallen-Kallela 1999" in the same spot.
Nice detail.

> OK, so the cain is in order. However, did the last page of the
Finnish book
> appear in the prints of the story in other countries - and if it
didn't, did
> poor $crooge get his _hat_ back at all?
That the other puiblishers didn't publish the page, doesn't have to
mean that it didn't happen!

JANNE

> The text goes: "Don Rosa after Gallen Kallela 1999"

http://www.niksula.cs.hut.fi/~xyu/kale-gb/pics/gallen/sammon_puolustus.j
pg
Thanks for the link :-)

And Louhi has a Mickey Mouse bikini on her in the cover... Of course.
Yes, of course. I was beginning to wonder where I should look for the
next Mickey, and then it was there.

EVEN
> What was that? You are going to make another seven pages and only the
Finns
> get to see them?? Howl and anguish - cannot someone talk somebody
> into making an English complete copy
Wasn't this what you said Helsinki Media was going to do, Don?