KOMIX #139 and...more!

Dr. Archontis Pantsios apantsio at ac.anatolia.edu.gr
Thu Dec 23 11:47:20 CET 1999

Fellow Quackeroos:

KOMIX #139, a thick, 132-page issue that celebrates the Year 2000 (I'm not
getting into the "millennium" debate) hit the stands yesterday. It features:

a) A wrap-around cover by W. V. Horn from an early '90s Disney Comics issue.
b) "Three Top Creators: From the U.S. to Italy and Back", a 2-page editorial
on Barks, Scarpa, and Rosa. The piece includes caricatures of all three plus
representative drawings.
c) "Three Generations, One Art, One Century: The evolution of an art thru
the works of Disney's Masters". A 1-page editorial one the same 3 artists.
d) Don Rosa's "A Little Something Special", D-96325.
e) "Especially Dedicated: Don Rosa talks to KOMIX", a 2-page Rosa interview.
f) "Christmas Eve Story", from WDC&S #172, 1955.
g) "Romano Scarpa's Lentils", a 3-page editorial on Scarpa and his classic
story. KOMIX prints a special lentil recipe by Sylvester Kolomisky, a chef
who lives and works at the restaurant "Le Jimap", in Paris, France. KOMIX
asked Mr. Kolomisky to prepare a lentil soup recipe especially for KOMIX!
h) Scarpa's "The Lentils from Babylon", from I-TL #250-251, 1960.
i) "100 + 4 Years of Comics", a 4-page editorial, chock-full of color panel
and cover re-productions, on the history of the comics medium.

This is a truly outstanding issue--true millennium or not!

Oh, lest I forget: I also picked up this morning "KLASIKA" #158, the
Dec-Jan. issue. It collects 2 *great* stories:

a) Scarpa's "Topolino e l' ultraghiaccio", I-TL #596-597, 1967. Many Scarpa
experts call this one "the last of Scarpa's classics".
b) "Paperino e il calumet della pace", scripted by Carlo Chendi and drawn by
Luciano Bottaro, I-TL #290-291, 1961.

A third story, drawn by Luciano Gatto rounds up the issue; its Greek title
is "The Triangle of the Bears".

GEORGIOS:

>  I tried to become a subscriber to "Zio Paperone", "I Maestri Disney"
>(before the end of its publication) and "Super Picsou" long time ago,but I
>was not lucky. I didn't even get any answer to my request. I wonder how they
>treat their readers.

This is really puzzling and it has been discussed in the past in this List:
I've been a customer to both Disney Italia and Hachette for a few years now,
and they treated me rather nicely. I now subscribe to 4 Italian titles and 2
French ones, and they always send me subscription re-newal notices. When I
first subscribed, all I did was write them a letter and ask them to charge
my credit card.

Someone has mentioned that perhaps their policy has changed and they might
not be offering new subscriptions. Does this make sense? Why wouldn't they
want new customers? Does it cost them so much more?

Holiday Cheers to all from a white (yes, we had a snow-storm) Thessaloniki!

Archontis