"Rare dimes"

robgsb robgsb at rain.org
Mon Dec 27 04:24:22 CET 1999

    The story where Donald buys rare dimes from Scrooge and sells them
to a coin dealer is Walt Disney's Comincs and Stories #130(July, 1951).
This is one of my personal favorites.  It has a great plot with multiple
reversals of fortune. Donald pits his wits against Uncle Scrooge and
gets whipped. But the kids bail him out (more than once).

    There's an interesting quote from Scrooge:
 "Here's the first billion I ever made - down at the bottom of the pile,
where it's been for seventy years!"
     I don't know if this was incorporated in the Scrooge
Historiography.

    "Coin collectors make me sick!They don't start collecting until the
coins are scarce. And I'm the guy that makes 'em scarce!"
                                    Uncle Scrooge, WDCS 130