digest #138

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Apr 17 14:59:29 CEST 2000

> From: Jakob Soederbaum
> Hmm, alrightythen. ;-)  But don't you think someone was helping you get
> another gag, instead of just establishing someone *did* shut the window,
> The more gags the better, I think.

I agree! Especially since any added gags are credited to me! But you cannot
add a gag where that gag does not fit, and I explained why the "gag" added
at that point was an improperly timed reaction to something that didn't
happen (DD cursing), or if it had happened it could not have been heard...
plus it was so obscure that I never even realized what it meant or that it
might have been supposed to be funny until you described what you thought
it refered to.

 > Btw, in the D&$ publication, the dialogue is changed to be a little more
> faithful to your script, however not exact:

It was exact in meaning. That, of course, is the important thing. Since all
but one usage of my work (and now ALL usage of it) is in a foreign
translation, my exact words can't be used... my greatest hope at all is
getting the exact meaning, and that is wonderful.

re: the closing panel gag:
> In the Swedish translation U$ says... hmm, it's quite hard to translate
> directly, as it's a Swedish proverb. But the meaning is something
> between "Mind your own business, will you!" and "Why are you always so
> interested in what *I'm* doing?".

Ah. I'll bet that's Stephan's work! He noticed that the line in the script
he was given was an odd non-sequiter to the plot, and he replaced it with a
good gag, and a gag that fit the circumstances. For it to have been another
added gag of an inappropriate nature, $crooge might, for example, have made
a reference to DD's falling into the fish store window. Even if it had been
funny, it would have been a reference to something that he could not have
known, similar to something that could not have been heard.