Don Rosa in PA

Chuck Munson chuckm_1962 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 20:00:00 CEST 2000

Hi everyone,

As Gary wrote a couple of digests back, I was able to
"put in an appearance" up at the Pennsylvania event.
As luck would have it, the traffic getting to the site
was nasty and my fiancee and I already had plans for
the evening back home.  The hour was well worth it for
the chance to see Don once again and meet Gary and
Archontis.  Don, I imagine this was an unusual venue
for you, but, given the state of Disney comics here,
I'm not surprised.  Gary's statement concerning the
surprise of the members of the Donald Duck fan club
founded by Don's hosts is also not surprising.  My
interests branch over to general Disneyana and I find
I am always having to educate fans and collectors
about the appalling state of our corner of the hobby.

General Disneyana brings me to Kriton's question:

> Um, what are beanie babies? (A cross between jelly
> beans and jelly
> babies, perhaps?)

If your question is not just in jest, it almost seems
incredible that someone has succeeded in missing this
craze.  If so, more power to you!  My understanding of
the background of Beanie Babies: about six+ years ago
a company named Ty started selling miniature stuffed
animals filled with soft pellets rather than stuffing.
 They sold them under the trademarked name "Beanie
Babies".  They caught on with the youngsters and even
more with adults (go figure??).  The craze has now
somewhat died out to the point where Ty stopped making
them as of Dec. 31st.  Disney, true to form, didn't
come out with any of their own until approx. 1997 and
is still making them, with, of course, the requisite
limited editions, etc.

That's as off-topic as I want to go!

Take care all as I dip back into lurker mode,
Chuck Munson