Don: A (sigh) Letter for Daniel...

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Wed Aug 9 15:55:23 CEST 2000

Don (to Daniel):

> I don't understand why we are posting these letters
> publicly.

I think it is mainly to let other people know that you are not some kind of
a godess who tells The Absolute Truth. As you wrote:

> I only say what I think. If someone disagrees
> with me, they
> should just say so, their words are as important as mine on here;

You and I know that. And Daniel knows that (or he should know by now). But
some other people on here don't.
An annoying example was when some people wrote "Everyone knows Scrooge died
in 1967". This was presented by them as a *fact*, while *you* only wrote it
as *your* view on the Duckworld. As important and valid as any other's.

I think Daniel was not trying to tell you to "shaddap", but to tell yout to
use more wordings that express that the writing is just your opinion. Since
you have become more than "just a fan" now (at least in Europe 8-), your
words are given more weight than others people's.

In e-mail jargon, the term "IMHO" is often used (In My Humble Opinion, or In
My Honest Opinion - usually I'm just using IMO without the H). I think your
mails should always be read with an "IMO" in mind. And if people do that,
nothing bad has happened, and we can all relax.

Oh - BTW, this is all IMO, of course. 8-)

> If someone disagrees with me, they
> should just say so, their words are as important as mine on here; if
> someone is afraid to do so, they need to deal with their lack of
> self-respect and learn I'm no big deal, they don't need your
> protection.

I think there's a cultural difference here between Americans and Europeans.
Americans are apparently taught from the beginning to stand up for
themselves and be assertive. This is much less the case in Europe.

--Harry.
(Amateur mass-psychologist)