On the existence of Santa

Søren Krarup Olesen sko at acoustics.dk
Tue Aug 8 15:08:21 CEST 2000

DANIEL + THIERRY + DON:

> PS. Do you *really* mean that Santa Claus doesn't exist???

:-) Yes, it's really amasing. Of course Santa Claus exists! *And*, he
not only exists, but he is so popular that people are payed to dress
like him and give candies to children at supermarkets and ring with
bells in the winter season. His residence is either Finland (I have a
nice postcard showing his home) or The North Pole or Greenland or... of
course he exists, perhaps he's not living next door doing the dishes
for his wife or something but he is utterly placed in our minds, and he
pops out as soon as one starts to use imagination and a bit of fantasy
in the broad sense.

In Denmark the postal services are told to deliver any card or letter
to "Julemanden" (=The Christmas Man/Santa) to a specific address. I
don't know exactly what that address is, and I'm not sure I want to
know. Does this mean that we should be afraid of plain facts, no, on the
contrary, most of us love to compare and investigate physical
existences. Perhaps something like 50% of our brain capacities are
occupied with that every single day. But what about the remaining 50%
then?

Well, it was my hope that those 50% would go to imagination, dreaming
and fantasy, something one cannot put on a plain weight and expect to
get a sensible readout.

It is still a mystery to my, how anyone can claim (or put as an opinion
between sentences) that Donald, Scrooge and the rest of Barks' universe
can be so basically superior (i.e. humans in ducks' clothes) while the
rest is pure fantasy fabricated in poor minds who haven't yet spotted
the truth.

In the light of this, I kindly ask Don Rosa to relax :-)

If we were dealing with the look of our neighbour, discussing her hair
colour or likewise it would be easy. However, in this universe (i.e.
the one being under debate on this e-mail list) things are not that
black or white. The wolfs and the mice and the ducks etc. have equally
rights to exist.

To suggest otherwise, and to do so in the name of Carl Barks or
others would be unfair. Imposing other people ones mind using
well-estimated references is...well, be let's be open minded, this also
opens for good debates, without noses being bit of...

Søren

(...hey...and let's all relax for a moment :-)