Thanks Harry!!

F. A. Elliott eliot508 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 23 07:21:29 CEST 2000

The EC parody covers by Don Rosa reminded me of a
similiar thing done by Alan Hutchinson through the
folk who would eventually put together Comic Shop
News. Back in 1986, before CSN, they did an indepen-
dent comic named "Boffo Laffs."
     Remember, they did the first major cover
enhancement, a hologram cover on # 1, long before
cover enhancements were used excessively in the mid to
late 90s.
     Anyway, I think Alan Hutchinson did 1 or 2 EC
style parody covers on the back covers of issues of
Boffo Laffs.
     One of them... well, I just went and looked. The
comics were Trufan Adventures # 1 & 2, and Boffo
Laffs, which I think lasted 5 issues.
     The one I have is Boffo Laffs # 2. On the back
cover is a color drawing by Alan Hutchinson, that
reads "Walt Dinsey's Crime and Suspense Stories, July
1978, No. 33, 10c." "Murder" runs alongside the latter
vertically. Below the title is a smaller inclosed
kicker that reads "Jolting Tales of Tension in the
Dell Tradition!"
     The picture depicts a below the head camera shot
of Mickey, with his right hand holding a bloody axe,
and in the other... Donald's severed head, which he
has grasped by the tufts of his scalp, as his blood
-shot eyes are rollin back. Off to the side, lying on
a checkered floor, also below... uh... what would be
left of a below the head camera shot, is rest of
Donald's limp form.
     As sick as it sounds I laughed out loud when I
first saw this. Being that it was drawn by Alan
Hutchinson, it may have been drawn a lot earlier than
1986 because I think his work was appearing in
fanzines much earlier than 1986. The date July 1978 on
the parody cover may in-fact be the very month and
year he drew it.
     I'm not sure if I can have it scanned here, but
I'll e-mail Ward Batty (editor of Boffo Laffs) at CSN
tonight and see what he says. If it's ok I'll work
with someone who wants to cover my at cost expense to
color copy it, package it, and mail it off to whoever
can host the image for viewing and post a link from
here.

God bless,

F.A. Elliott.

--- Gary Pantzer <gpantzer at ny.tds.net> wrote:
> Many thanks to Harry for offering us a first look at
> the 4 EC satire covers
> done by Don. Truly inspired...and disturbing. As an
> adult, I found the duck
> versions sheer genius and amusing. Seeing Donald get
> his ultimate revenge
> on Gladstone was dark humor at its best (which may
> not be fully appreciated
> by one not familiar with their 'history').
> Understand that I have read more
> than
> my share of  horror/suspense comics with gory scenes
> with nary a nightmare
> afterwards. So, I was surprised that seeing a
> 'psycho'-Scrooge and one of
> the HDL boys ripped by projectiles bothered me. I
> guess I expect humans
> and monsters to be capable of horrific acts and it
> does not affect me when
> a one-time anonymous character is offed, but seeing
> my beloved ducks in
> those situations hit close to home. Well, *please*
> don't read too much into
> this and start a long response thread. It was just a
> personal observation
> and
> I  really did get a good laugh seeing the dark side
> of the ducks.

=====
The 'one' who has a finger on 'it'... scratches against the mahogany lining of a coffin crying, "I am Jonah! I am Jonah! Spit me back out so I may see and feel the light of day again." And, the levithan does not heed for it knows every great epic must come to an 'end.'
A tasty morsel known as... "understanding."  (F.A. Elliott)