DCML digest, Vol 1 #239 - 11 msgs

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Aug 23 13:51:44 CEST 2000

From: Eta Beta
erudite wit in your messages,

Wait... let me write that one down.... thanks.

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Cl=E9ment_Le_Hyaric?= <p.lehyaric at free.fr>
in a
indelible
way, because Barks' or Rosa's Ducks DON'T BECOME anymore : they ARE and
HAVE
BEEN, but they become no longer. Don (who will tell me if I'm wrong)
has written "Life and Times of Scrooge Mc Duck" to relate how Scrooge has
become what he IS: this "IS" is eternal and untemporal; Scrooge will not
become anymore...

I not only totally agree with all of this, but it's what I have told
interviewers for years when they ask me what "NEW PLANS" I have for the
Ducks. I say that I don't ever want to change anything in the Duck
Universe... it must stay eternally the same. But what I can do is show HOW
it got to be just that way, which is why I did the "Lo$" and why I usually
enjoy doing Weisingerian "origin" tales for this or that when a publisher
asks me for one.

>>>and - so - he'll never die.

Well, no, the point is that the stories take place in an eternal "present".
It doesn't mean that characters would not age and eventually die if time
were allowed to kick into gear. These are normal characters (whether you
know they're humans or think they're talking ducks) and that's why their
adventures are exciting or how we relate to their humor. They are not
immortal, invulnerable gods or fairies or somesuch, otherwise their stories
would not interest us.

respectable, but I absolutely disagree: I'd HATE a story which would tell
us
the death of Scrooge Mc Duck (or any other Disney character).

You may never see my story, I may never tell it, and I won't give you a
clue as to exactly what I would show happening.... but, don't worry, even
having read your thoughts on the subject, you'd *like* this story.
Just wait............

From: "F. A. Elliott"
similiar thing done by Alan Hutchinson....
The one I have is Boffo Laffs # 2. On the back
cover is a color drawing by Alan Hutchinson, that
reads "Walt Dinsey's Crime and Suspense Stories,

Oh, so? As I told the folks at the banquet, the idea for my WALT DISNEY'S
COMICS AND SUSPENSTORIES came from Gladstone editor John Clark. Perhaps
that's where he saw it?

>>>The picture depicts a below the head camera shot
of Mickey, with his right hand holding a bloody axe,
and in the other... Donald's severed head, which he
has grasped by the tufts of his scalp, as his blood
-shot eyes are rollin back. Off to the side, lying on
a checkered floor, also below... uh... what would be
left of a below the head camera shot, is rest of
Donald's limp form.

That's a parody of CRIME SUSPENSTORIES #22, two issues prior to the issue I
chose. I considered that one as an option, but I liked the other better. It
was less bloody and more suggestive of what was about to happen rather than
what had just happened. Still, I didn't *not* choose it because it would
have been too disturbing, as Gary mentioned about the parodies -- black
humor is *supposed* to disturb you, that's the whole point, that's why you
laugh.
Oh, and F.A., on behalf of all the other Digest readers, I ask you not to
quote *entire* past messages in your comments. Just pick a few lines to
remind us of the context. Or perhaps you didn't realize your 'puter was
doing that?