Carl Barks, in memoriam

Leonardo Gori l.gori at agora.stm.it
Mon Aug 28 13:44:30 CEST 2000

I never had, in my life, a so great regret of my very poor English... So, I
can't explain well what I feel in these days, after Carl Barks departure.
He was a great wiriter, of course. Perhaps one of the 3 or 4 greatest of
all American Literature, for people of all ages. But, after decades of
essays, interviews, etc., we forgot an essential part of his value: he was
a CHILDREN writer. Don't forget that as this kind of artist, he had a great
influence on many generations of readers, but also for boys and girls in
their formative years, who became men and women with a deep sense of
honesty, with a feeling for culture and humanity, and the capacity of
wonder in a greed world.
I met Carl in Italy, in 1994, and the man was similar to the writer:
something rare, as knows who is working in the comics field. A great part
of my life, my hearth and my brain, are modeled on the great Barks' stories.
So long, Carl.

Please excuse me for my ugly English. As you know, I'm a "lurker" on this
list, but this time I *had* to post something.
Bye

Leonardo Gori

l.gori at agora.stm.it
http://space.tin.it/clubnet/leongori