Chase and the Parrot

Luca Boschi cnotw at zen.it
Sun Dec 3 14:50:49 CET 2000

Hi, Rob, Daniel and all!

Your discussion about supposed Barks' Parrot gag, penciled and inked by
Frank mcSavage is interesting.

Do you know where it was reprinted (if it was) in more recent books?

> We really
> have no way to know if any of the 3 gags that were drawn by McSavage in DD
> 356 were written by Barks given the information we have now.  Perhaps
> someone can ask Chase Craig, who (I believe) was Barks editor at that time.
>  But, he is 85 years old, and probably wouldn't be able to remember a
> single gag submitted 50 years ago

Maybe. But it seems his memory is quite good. He remembers the most
important issues about his job at Western. Maybe David can help us about?

> My "instinct" that the Parrot gag was not a Barks gag (at least, not as it
> appeared in print), is a gut feeling with no more chance of being likely
> than any other opinion or guess.  I agree that it is interesting to
> postulate on this subject, but we will never know for sure, until we get
> more concrete information.

I agree! Bye,

Luca