Barrier's listing of Moaning Hills (JW 12)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun Dec 3 17:16:46 CET 2000

FRANCOIS WILLOT, 28-11-2000, Digest Vol 1 #336:

> [Barrier] There are I believe very very few mistakes in this book.
> But I remember that Barrier wrote that "Donald Tames his Temper"
> (the WDC ten-pager story) was the first Barks story to feature Daisy.
> This is in fact "The Mighty Trapper" when Daisy makes a cameo
> appearance. Apart from that I can't name even one other tiny error!

An instance where I doubt Barrier is his listing of the submission date
of Junior Woodchuck story "Hound of the Moaning Hills" (JW 12), which
would have been submitted on March 3, 1970.

JW 07 "Whale of a Good Deed", January 1, 1970
JW 12 "Hound of the Moaning Hills", March 3, 1970
JW 08 "Let Sleeping Bones Lie", March 16, 1970

Reasons for my doubts:

- In JW 8, the editors changed the Offical Hound into Pluto. In JW 12,
  the script already contains Pluto.

- On March 8, 1970, Barks wrote a letter to Michael Barrier about the
  Junior Woodchuck stories he had scripted up to that point. This would
  have been 5 days after finishing "Moaning", but Barks only mentions
  having just finished "Let Sleeping Bones Lie" instead. "Sleeping
  Bones" wasn't even submitted on that point, while "Moaning Hills"
  would have been submitted 5 days before the letter to Barrier.
  Why would Barks' letter (or Barrier quoting it) omit mentioning this
  story?

The Inducks search site doesn't seem to work at moment, but in a
recent visit I saw that the submission date of "Moaning" was
mentioned as March 3, *1971* (instead of 1970). What's the source
for that information?

If my doubts are valid, then there are at least two known instances of
Barrier being (slightly) wrong: WDC 64 and JW 12.

Barrier's book also contains information on changes, written by
Kim Weston. Even I though I think Kim Weston's studies are
marvellous (an understatement!), the discovery of for example
the "Trick or Treat" art shows that his theories about *what* could
have been cut aren't always (fully) right.

BTW. Kim Weston comments were taken from his article "My Secret
Life By Scrooge McDuck - Or, The Unpublished Carl Barks",
published in Funnyworld no. 16 (1975). It's one of my most
favourite Barks articles. It contains many tricks on finding
traces of possible cuts and changes in Barks' work, while also
giving some information on how Carl Barks made his stories.

Best wishes,

--- Daniel

Nine trillion multipadillion, six hundred and eighty-six squadrificillion,
fifty octodecimadillion, eight hundred and sixty-three centrifipillion --
nine hundred and forty overplusillion, six hundred and five duplicatillion,
thirty-three impossibadillion --
seven hundred and ninety-one compounded ultrafatillion, three hundred and
forty super trillion, fifty-nine duper dillion, twenty-nine billion, seven
hundred and fifty million --
four hundred and six thousand, five hundred and thirty three *drops*!

(Which story? Does this quote contain any typo's?) :-)