DCML digest, Vol 1 #73 - 10 msgs

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sat Feb 5 14:32:56 CET 2000

> From: Norbert Stippler
> This issue of Donald being duck or human let me think of a couple of
stories where Carl Barks made
> jokes about Donald being a duck, although he always claimed Donald to be
human.
> In "The Gilded Man" the Ducks are especially shocked when they see the
stuffed ducks, ignoring the
> other stuffed animals.

Yes, this always has struck me as a very w*e*i*r*d moment in Barks-Duck
history, Donald clearly identifying with a normal stuffed duck, and it's
dropped so casually into the middle of a classic story from his best
period!  Mr. B musta been in an odd mood that day! Or maybe that pesky
nextdoor neighbor jotted it into the script one day when Mr.B had his back
turned?
It gives me about 25% as bad a case of "the creeps" as when the origin of
Donald Duck is given as his hatching from an egg that fell out of a wild
duck nest in a tree, drawn (very nicely, otherwise) by Rota. That's the one
that really freeeaaks me, maaan!
The other thing that really gives me the creeps is seeing my weird-looking
artwork in the same issue next to Ferioli or Rota or all the others who
actually know what they're doing. Whooaaa. Bad trip!

And now, having seen the preposterous length of my posting in the last
Digest, I quickly take my leave...