Donald Duck & Co # 8 2000

"Jørgen Andreas Bangor" jorgenb at ifi.uio.no
Tue Feb 29 23:56:40 CET 2000

Donald Duck & Co # 8 - 2000

Egmont front cover, showing Donald in a ski lift, and at the same time
stuck on the top of an elk.

First story out is about Donald Duck (D 99034, 8 pages), written by
Paul Halas and drawn by Marsal.

Donald is tired of winter and snow, and decides to hibernate the rest
of the winter. If bears and hedgehogs can, why not him? He puts on all
the heat he can, and blows the electical system. The electrician won't
come out in the bad weather, so there he is. To get some heat he now needs
wood, and to get that he must go to the forest. He brings some honey
chocolate.
Out there, the car gets stuck in the snow, and Donald finds a cave in which
he can find shelter. And, oops, there's a bear (what a surprise...).
Fortunately the bear likes the chocolate, and they become good friends.
Donald is found and rescued. After the electrical system of his house is
repaired, he discovers that the bear has decided to stay there for the
rest of the winter.

I'm sure there is some point in this story, but I fail to see it.

Next is an old one-pager (KF-05-15-50).

The third story is about Mad Madam Mim (D 96331, 4 pages), written by
Paul Halas and Jack Sutter, and drawn by Millet.

Mim gets a new book from the witch book club. It's about doing magic
with weather. She starts by removing the winter, and lets the spring come
out (I wish I could do that). Soon it shows up that not everyone is happy
about this - like kids with their sleighs. Mim then creates some very
local winters for those who needs it.
Close by is a film studio which is about to make a winter scene. Only
problem is that their snow machines are out of function. One assistant has
noted Mim's local snow weathers, and they get her to the studio. It works
perfect for a very short time, until they discover that her snow is
actually cold, and breaks havoc in the studio.

This could have been pretty good, if there weren't about a million
Mim stories with similar story line. Is it impossible to make up
something new?

The fourth story is about Donald Duck (D 98408, 12 pages), written by
Per Hedman, and drawn by Colomer.

Scrooge wants something far out in an area of wilderness, and sends out
Donald and a professional guide to find it. He won't tell them what it
is, but he'll give them more information when they have reached the
place where it is. The guide is soon tired by Donald, who's not quite
as used to the wilderness as he is.
After a while Donald discovers that there's something mysterious about
the guide. He's talking to someone on a mobile phone, informing this
"someone" about the expedition.
Suddenly the new instructions are dropped from a helicopter, and Donald
and the guide fight to get to them first.
At the same time, Scrooge finds out that Donald's guide is not the one
he hired, but one who has been put in his place by Glomgold, to find out
what Scrooge is up to. The real one is then dropped at the same place by
the same chopper. Together they find what Scrooge wants - a few golden
flowers, which he intends to give to a collector (in return for something,
of course). Now it shows up that both guides are members of an organization
which protects rare plants, and none of them will pick the flowers.

Although quite classical, the idea isn't so bad. But why send Donald
and a guide all the way on the ground, when someone could have just gone
there with the helicopter?

Then a Mickey Mouse story (D 99096, 10 pages), written by Jeff Hamill,
and drawn by Ferioli.

Mickey is chosen to recieve this years prize for being a fellow human
being in Duckburg. What he has done, is to collect old computers, and
giving them to youth clubs that needed them. He's given a lot of attention
by other citizens, which makes him embarrassed. He did this because he
wanted to, not to get a prize for it.
The driver whos taking him in the mayor's limousine, to the reception where
he's to get the prize, is a very bitter man, and his behaviour is really
bad towards Mickey. Mickey tries to be nice to him, but after the driver
collided the car, he (Mickey) realises that he (the driver) is jealous of
him. All the time he does nice things to other people, but never is it
mentioned. But if a celebrity like Mickey does one nice thing, everybody
get to know it, and he gets a prize for it. Mickey tries to make up for
this by bringing the driver with him on the stage at the reception, and
telling that he'll share the prize with a person who all the time works
for the society. The result of this is that Mickey gets even more
attention for being unselfish, and the driver is forgotten. The driver
thinks Mickey used him to get more attention to himself, and is just as
mad as before.

This is a good story. It illustrates well and simple how some people work
for the society because they wants to, how the society needs heroes to
look up to, and  how this sometimes can clash together when personal
feelings are messed into it.

Next is an old one-pager (KF 10-10-54).

Then a newer one-pager, about Goofy (D 93002). No credits, but the art
looks like Esteban.

Goofy puts snow chains on his car (it's winter), and claims that nothing
can stop him now. Because a road sign is covered with snow, he drives
against the direction on a one-way street, and has to stop for a snow
plough.

I suppose it was meant to be funny.

The eighth story is the second part of a Donald Duck story beginning in # 7
(D 99171), written by Andreas Pihl, and drawn by Colomer.

I will comment this when I've read it all, but so far I'll at least
say that this is one of the best Duck stories I've read in years!

Last is another old one-pager (KF-12-18-60).

Also with this issue was an extra with the story I-AL-6-1955 by
Guido Martina and Romano Scarpa.

   Jørgen