Influence of HD&L on society

Arthur de Wolf arthur at concepts.nl
Sun Jan 30 21:44:38 CET 2000

Hoi,

yesterday I picked up a copy of a book entitled "Het Duckdenken"
(="Duckthinking"). The cover says: "The influence of Huey, Duey and Louie on
our society". I haven't read it completely yet. It was written by Michiel
Hegener, published by Contact Uitgeverij (ISBN 90 254 9884 1).

The back of the book reads: (translated from Dutch):

"Most of the people who currently have top-positions in the Netherlands grew
up in the 50s and 60s and were reading Donald Duck. In the Donald Duck
weekly magazine it is the children that are experts, wise and smart, and it
is the adults that make blunders. The nephews of Donald Duck seem to be a
very important role model for the managing generation of today. The analysis
of Michiel Hegener shows that the entire policy for the scientific and
business world has roots in the ideas of Huey, Duey and Louie. [...] That
not many people talk about this is easy to explain: which minister,
industrial worker or professor has the courage to explain his work with a
pile of Donald Ducks? Huey, Duey and Louie play a key part in the "how &
why" of our society. Their influence is noticeable on many levels: from the
organisation-advisors to girlpower. In "Duckthinking", Hegener exposes the
far-reaching influence of the nephews."

It's a little bit far-fetched and weird, but interesting and funny. The book
is based on Carl Barks' world and is illustrated with pictures of his
stories.

Greetings,

Arthur de Wolf
Rotterdam, the Netherlands