DCML digest, Vol 1 #195 - 4 msgs

bhc@primenet.com bhc at primenet.com
Thu Jul 13 20:15:22 CEST 2000

Rodney Bowcock wrote:

>I find it very interesting to learn that Somewhere In Nowhere is being
>released in English by Disney Italy.  Hopefully, sales of the English
>version will be high enough for them to realize that people here in the
>US are willing to pay the price for English copies of Disney comics.  I
>know I would certainly be willing to pay for English versions of Zio
>Paperone.

I don't know if Egmont or Disney Italy or anyone is actually
prohibited in any licensing terms from doing any kind of regular
English-language Disney comics publication as such, but they do have
to consider what kind of market they'd have for them since none of
them have licenses granting them access to retail distribution of
English-language Disney comics in the USA and Canada (and perhaps
Australia and New Zealand as well). That license is still under
negotiation between Diamond and Disney, and if any other publisher
made what even appeared to be an attempt to enter those markets,
there would be royal hell to pay.

English-language readers deserve English-language Disney comics. But
as wonderful as it might be for some publisher to bite the bullet and
put out English-language comics without licensed access to the major
retail English-language markets, few publishers can afford to be that
wonderful.