Barks's Centennial

John Chadwick wolfsong at mpinet.net
Fri Jun 2 22:05:14 CEST 2000

Don,
    You recently mentioned that plans were afoot to raise awareness of
Carl Barks coinciding with his 100th birthday.  My question is "Why
wait?"  Let's start things going now while we know Mr. Barks is here to
appreciate them.  I want him to live a long time, too, but I'd much
rather he be around  to see this celebration than have it turn into a
posthumous one.  (I apologize if this sound in any way morbid, but we
just lost Charles Schulz,  George Burns barely made it passed his 100th,
and Bob Hope isn't doing well at all.  None of us are guaranteed
tomorrow.)
    A birthday marks the completion of a year, therefore Mr. Barks's
100th year has already begun.  Let's strike while the iron is hot.  If
Disney is going to be involved, they tend to celebrate things for at
least a year anyway. (WDW's 25th Anniversary was 15 months long.)
    Food for thought.