African Disney Characters

Gerstein, David DK - ECN DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Thu Jun 29 12:45:36 CEST 2000

	PAM, PER-ERIK:

>Pam, there are black natives in many of Floyd Gottredson's strips,
>but as they are heavily caricatured, you won't find these comics
>uncensored in any recent publications. But you can find sample
>pages from at least two of them, at:
><http://stp.ling.uu.se/~starback/dcml/creators/floyd-gottfredson.html>
>look at "In search of jungle treasure"
	[SNIP]

	Eeeeyow! I just checked this page, and the scan *has* been censored!
	How do I know? Because I'm the guy who did it!

	When I made those scans some years ago, my goal wasn't just to use
them for the DCML web pages; I also meant to color them by computer and
prepare a sort of "Gottfredson sampler" as a guide for some people who were
then working at Disney. To keep the material from seeming too controversial,
I made alternate, retouched versions of the "Jungle Treasure" and "Treasure
Island" samples.
	While I never actually followed up on my plan with Disney, I notice
now - for the first time - that I gave the DCML pages the censored version
of the "Jungle Treasure" page.
	Maybe someone wants to make a new scan?

	(BTW, the "Treasure Island" scan on the DCML pages is the properly
original version.)

	David