DCML digest #100

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Mar 3 07:35:43 CET 2000

From: "Jacob Wallroth"
Subject: What`s up?
something, anything! I know that Don Rosa himself is joining this list,
maybe he can answer my question???

Yes, I'm here, ever alert for direct questions such as yours.
As I reported when I was last asked a few weeks ago, I am currently working
on a story titled "The Three Caballeros Ride Again" and should be done in
about 4 more weeks. After that, I'll most likely do a new "Lo$" for PICSOU
(France). And I always do odd jobs in between and during... such as today I
did a new "pin-up" for PICSOU for their issue reprinting Barks' "Crown of
Genghis Khan" and "Mines of King Solomon". It's a gag scene combining both
stories which will be of no use to any publisher or publication other than
that single issue of PICSOU... maybe I shouldn't do that. I mean, I don't
get royalties for the future re-use of such art, but I am limiting its
audience to France which might disappoint some people (and please others?).
You may be reacting to the fact my stories are getting further between and
fewer per year? That's due to the fact that I don't knock myself out trying
to get the stuff done like I used to -- you can probably tell the stuff
takes me a looong time to draw, and I used to work too hard to keep the
paychecks flowing. But I decided it wasn't worth killing myself with 10
hour days, so I slowed the pace down. On top of that, every year I have
more additional requests for stuff like covers for Finland or pin-ups for
France or signing tours of Germany or something, and that also takes time
away from the most important work of storytelling... but I try to strike a
balance.
Hope that answers your question?