Vol. 1, #104 - Song of the South Era

Chuck Munson chuckm_1962 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 19:41:46 CET 2000

Hi all,

Delurking for a minute to clear up a common
misconception about the time-frame of "Song of the
South".

HorizonHse at aol.com wrote:
i don't think people object to the song of the south
cartoons so much as the presentation of the slaves in
the feature film from which the cartoons come ......
Slavery was politically correct in the South until the
13th amendment. It was not right, however.

While I'm not attempting to contradict or even comment
upon the entire issue of American race relations which
constantly are churned up whenever this movie is
mentioned and seemingly necessitates a thorough
explanation of the last 400 years of the history of
this continent in order to give our non-North American
members some understanding of the power this issue
has, the film itself is set post-Civil War, not
pre-Civil War.  Therefore, while there was no lack of
impediments remaining to tie any of the blacks
depicted in the film to the plantation where they were
at the end of the Civil War, they were not "legally"
slaves.  That is as off-topic as I feel I should get,
but hope that helps with understanding film's context.

Take care,
Chuck