The Ducks are taking over

Sandven, Halvor halvor.sandven at dnb.no
Tue Mar 21 09:43:18 CET 2000

Hello!

I just have to make some more comments regarding the increase of
Duck-stories in the weeklies. Besides the danish weekly, I have also run my
system on the dutch and german weeklies, and have found much of the same
results here. The danish publication had in 1999 70,6% duck-related stories
(the highest ever), and 21,2 Mickey-related stories, leaving only 8,2% for
the wolves, rabbits etc. The german publication had this year 74,4%
duck-related stories (also the highest ever) and 20,0% Mickey-related
stories. This was the lowest persentage since 1963. This leaves only 5,6% to
other stuff. The dutch weekly had 60,6% duck-related stories, and this is
about average for the 90ies. There were only 6,0% Mickey-related stories,
and this is also about average for the last years. This leaves 33,4% for
other stuff.

Details will be sent to those who have asked for this.

In my opinion there are a bit too much Duck-related stories in the
Scandinavian and German weeklies. Of course, good Duck-stories may be the
main reason to buy these comics, but many of these stories are just about
average. I would like to see fewer of average Duck-stories, and more good
stories of the wolves and rabbits and so on. Also, many of these non-Duck
and non-Mickey stories appeal to the youngest readers, and I think it's
important that there's som stuff to them too. I like to read the weeklies to
my children, and my daughter, who is 5 years, often prefers stories by Madam
Mim and Grandma Duck. To keep the interest in the weeklies for future
generations, there should be a variety of stories to read for every age.
People like Gil Turner, Paul Murry, Al Hubbard and so on, have shown us that
these kind of stories can be very good, and also may appeal to more adult
readers. A newer artist like David, is also quite good.
There seems to be a decline of Mouse-stories too, and this worries me a bit.
I think the quality of these stories nowadays is very high, and often it's
the Mickey-story I enjoy most in the weekly. Then it's a shame that only a
fifth of the comic is dedicated to Mickey and friends. I really pity the
dutch readers who don't get to read many of these very good Mickey-stories
in their weekly. On the other hand they got more of other stuff.

What do other members on this mailing-list think of this subject?

---Halvor

entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that DnB cannot
accept any payment orders or other legally binding correspondence with
customers as a part of an email.

This email message has been virus checked by the virus programs used
in the DnB Group.