Donald Duck creator

Rod Davidek rdavidek at idirect.com
Thu May 4 17:30:47 CEST 2000

Arie, Stefan and Luca wrote:

>perhaps this is a bit of silly question. But who created Donald Duck? Is it
>Walt Disney? I only know that Clarence Nash was the one behind the famous
>voice but i don't know who create DD.

> I think it was both of them together.

>Hmmm... How to say about Albert Hurter (the thumbnail sketches of DD in "The
>Wise Little Hen") and, later, about Art Babbitt?

It's a tough question, because Donald evolved a lot in his first few years.
I'd add Dick Huemer to the list, who (with Art Babbitt) animated Donald in
"The Wise Little Hen". Dick Lundy was the first to animate Donald's bad
temper in the original "Orphan's Benefit". Fred Spencer wrote the famous
character analysis of Donald in 1935. Then you have to include the
contributions of Barks and Hannah in the late '30s which really defined
Donald's screen personality.

I think Walt Disney originally had a vague idea of the character he wanted
and all of these people who worked for him played their part in bringing it
to life. The name "Donald Duck" was used in print as early as 1931, when he
was referred to as one of Mickey's many friends. Then Clarence Nash was
chosen in 1933 to do the voice (it's not clear whether he approached Disney
first or if Disney contacted him after hearing him on the radio). Then the
artists came up with their visual concepts. It was a team effort, but it
all had to be in line with what the boss wanted.

                           - Rod -