Donald Duck's Creator

Rich xephyr at jps.net
Sun May 14 16:16:50 CEST 2000

Arie asked:
> > >perhaps this is a bit of silly question. But who created Donald Duck?
> Hmmm, so since there's been no factual answer, is it safe to assume that the
> creators are Walt and Nash? And DD developed later by Hurter, Babbit,
> Huermer, and further more developed by Hannah and Barks?
> Thanks in advance for all the answers and of course thanks all who have
> replied and showed me the many "hidden" people i never knew of before.

Based on the original question, I would definitely add to Donald's "creator
credits" the book "The Adventures of Mickey Mouse" published by David McKay
of New York and the poem entitled "More HooZoo" from the "Mickey Mouse Annual"
published by the English firm, Dean & Son, both printed in 1931, and both
listing the name "Donald Duck" among Mickey's farmyard friends, and even
depicting Donald in a more pre-historic form (more duck-like and wearing
button shorts instead of a sailor's shirt).  Of course there is the matter of
his evolution from that early depiction to his first film appearance.  Still
Donald Duck was already a "named" character prior to the "Wise Little Hen."

Oddly, another character, who seems to have originated from that list of
Mickey's friends, never quite made it very far:  Jenny Wren.  She appeared
in "Who shot Cock Robin?" and "Toby Tortoise Returns" and then faded into
obscurity.  With her "Mae West" persona she seemed like such a great character.
Clara Hen (Cluck) and Patricia Pig fared only slightly better, but at least
they are still around.  Others like Robert Rooster and Olga Owl never appeared
again though.

Rich Bellacera